Thursday, November 02, 2006

Favourite movie moments #1



Originally uploaded by mrlederhosen.
This is a still from what I believe to be one of the best films ever made. The film is 'Andrei Roublev', based on the life of a 15th Century Russian icon painter, and directed by Andrei Tarkovsky.
The photo is from the opening scene, when a villager discovers a way to fly using a homemade balloon. The scene is wide, the mood is exciting and nervous, and you feel like you are immediately immersed in medieval Russia. If you can ever get the chance to see this at a movie fest, it will amaze you! Of course, being Tarkovsky, it is very slow and ponderous.
I first saw this film at the Encore Cinema in Surry Hills in Sydney on a rainy winter's Sunday afternoon. I didn't know what to expect, yet still today I remember being blown away by the power of this movie as I staggered out of the cinema to rejoin the outside world.
I think this would be a perfect IFC film for Dublin. Emma, write to them now and get them to screen it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here