Thursday, November 02, 2006

Solaris


Solaris Poster
Originally uploaded by mrlederhosen.
A Russian promotional poster for Tarkovsky's mind-bending 1972 film Solaris. I did enjoy the Steven Soderbergh version of the film, but it hardly compares to this metaphysical masterpiece!
..yes you will notice I kiss this guy's butt. He only made a handful of films, but they are all brilliant. Each frame looks like a painting, the sound is subtle, and he often edits large sections of his films so that they are set in real time. These are the films he made, I am trying to get a copy of them but they are not available to buy in Australia (darn licensing laws!).

Filmography:
The Steamroller and the Violin (1960)
My Name is Ivan / Ivan's Childhood (1962)
Andrei Rublev (1966)
Solaris (1972)
Mirror (1975)
Stalker (1979)
Voyage in Time (1982) - documentary
Nostalghia (1983)
The Sacrifice (1986)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time I saw "Solyaris" I was blown away. It was a relentless 165 min of wow, what the? I obviously didn't grow up in communist Russia but man I picked up some kind of vibe of that film.

A workmate who's from Slovakia told me about some old Czech, Slovak and Russian films from the time... "real life" he calls them. Not, obviously, because the settings are necessarily true to life, but because there's a genuine sense of space which allows room for the viewer's own interpretation and meaning and, importantly, real emotion, tragedy etc.

I almost vomited when I first heard George Clooney was doing his remake.
I think he did a good job and made a beautiful film, but you can't beat Tarkovsky's... and don't get me started on the book!

3:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here