Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Favourite pics #1


snoopycydgrant96
Originally uploaded by mrlederhosen.
Holy polonium poop!

I just realised that this ol' photo was taken 11 years ago this January. 11 years! For the first time in my life I think I know how long the passing of 11 years feels. I still remember this pic like it was taken yesterday.

The story of this dog eared old photo.

After my first year of living in Sydney I returned to Perth to see my friends and family. My first year in Sydney was a tough year, but lots of new and exciting things happened to me that year. It was a time full of intense experiences. I started my first proper job - I worked on 'Wonderwold' for its final season (hence the matching t-shirts in the pic). It was my first time living totally free and in a new land, and a time when I met many of my new friends, whom I met in weird and wonderful places. Julie, who is in my links under 'Julie's Blog', talks in her latest entry about when we met at Mr Goodbar (or was that Dr Goodbar?) nightclub in Paddington. It was a time of new things, of total freedom, where no one knew who I was and I could create my own universe. It was that enjoyable wide eyed naiveity that I have always loved to feel.

I remember that throughout my following years in Sydney, until I started university in Perth in 2002, I carried this photo of Cydne, Snoopy and myself in my wallet. That's why it's so crumpled and trashed - it went everywhere with me. I considered it a kind of personal mantra to look at it whenever things were going bad for me or if I was having a hard time. Cydne, my god daughter, was a little whipper snapper of about 6 who thought the world of me, and Snoopy was my best buddy throughout my childhood. Even now, this photo has a special memory for me.

Optimism, security, warmth, home and love. That's what makes this photo so special.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous photo!

I'd forgotten the name of that club - Mr. Goodbar it was. I'm soooo happy we're still in touch!

3:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here