Monday, April 02, 2007

random ramblings

I just had to get outdoors for the last gasp of summer yesterday. Last week it suddenly got cold after a few months of non-stop searing Perth heat, so I just had to catch some of those rays when the sun came out. Bomi is my ol' pal from Korea, and she's one of those friends that I only seem to meet with every month or so. Being the great Aussie tour guide that I am, I took her down to Point Walter to check out the river spit that she had been told about. Its funny how when you live in a city you sometimes never go to the great local sights and places that foreigners love so much. We walked right to the end of the spit - over a kilometre of a skinny stretch of sand jutting into a bulbous bit of the Swan River. Ahh the sun, i'm gonna miss it when the cold weather kicks in. Perth is one of those cities that I swear is colder than Europe in mid winter.
"Baloney!" I hear you say. But I know i'm right! Because of our mega-hot summers, our houses are designed to be cool, and they just let all that heat out come the winter. I never ever wore jumpers in the house in my little pad in Berlin that Christmas, and I never wore jumpers in that Bachelors Walk dog-box I lived in in Dublin. Yet every winter mr G shivers-his-timbers while he stirs his hot soup next to the gas heater and whines a lot of "brrrrr-its-cccold". And all them exchange students freak out and have to go shopping for jumpers, feeling ripped off cos they're told that its always summer down in Australia. Hehe, I guess that means our tourist brochures as a summer paradise have been working!

I soooooo much want to get back to Southeast Asia this month, but because of the suck-ass recent housing boom, I have to save every penny if I am going to buy myself a (rediculously small) place this year. I say its a suck-ass from the buyers point of view, but I'm sure if you owned a place you'd be loving every moment of the last four years of boom. Anyway, maybe one day I can join the league of the landed gentry, but for now i'm having to be "mr. no-holidays stinge-bag" to save. I don't even really care too much about owning land, but I guess it's the wise thing to do and I know that I will love having my place, the freedom of owning my own place and yadayadayada..

Golly I must be getting old. I'm talking about property in my blog! Aaaaarrrghh! Someone please save me from this!

2 Comments:

Blogger SR said...

"i'm having to be "mr. no-holidays stinge-bag" to save."

I love Perth...nothing changes, everything stays the same...OH! Did I say that out loud? ;)
Love ya mate!

5:05 pm  
Blogger mrlederhosen said...

I kick your butt, mr slog! Can you feel my boot over there on the equator?

:P

10:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here