Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Ah, the computer lab. The lab of doom, the procrastination parlour, the boredom booster, the dullness driver, the life laxative. I could go on. I have now been at uni for 3 1/2 years, and I am starting to crave an existence that doesn't involve due dates and all night assignments. I know as soon as im working i will yearn for my lazy unstrucutured days of uni, but i am so over being poor and stressed. at least with work stress you are free at the end of the day and you get some money to keep the material urges satisfied. Errg, even talking about this is boring me! So I'll stop.
I was reading some stuff about ancient Rome last night, and whoah, life was pretty cheap there. People getting executed for upsetting their slave masters or member of government. Life is definately better here and now than it was then. Imagine having to wear sandals everyday? Yuk, an empire of hippy sandal wearers!

A film festival would be good. A few years back, there was an art house cinema only a short scooter ride away, around the corner from Central Station in Surry Hills in Sydney, called the Third Eye Cinema (also known as the Encore Cinema). It was run by this guy who owned most of the films he played, and he loved his old Italian and French stuff. He introduced me to the great Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky, and many a rainy Sunday matinee session was spent watching 'Solaris' or 'Andrei Roublev'. He managed to get an old print of Antonioni's 'L'aventura' and the standard funky 60's films like 'Blow up' and 'La Samurai'. He got in trouble for screening Pasolini's banned film 'Salo' which was disturbing, but really not that bad. I really miss that kind of cinema, there really is nothing quite like it here. In Berlin, I probably had the coolest local cinema ever. It was walking distance from my pad in Friedrichshain, and was covered in scaffolding. There was only one staff member, who would sell the tickets, serve drinks (yes beer as well - how REVOLUTIONARY!) and run up and change reels on the projector. There were dodgy school chairs, the room was fairly small and smoking was allowed. Now I'm no smoker, but there is a certain charm in an old cinema (preferrably in Art Neveau stylings) with clouds of smoke lighting up the light beam. I loved that place! My favourite moment was watching the OV (original version) of 'Amores Perros'. I had to guess my way through a Spanish film with German subtitles, whilst sharing a six pack of Spaten with my friend.
I suppose Perth has its fantastic Luna cinemas, I do love them, especially cinemas 3 and 4 in Leederville. I guess I just crave the neighbourhood thing, the community vibe. Perth is a modern city, there's not enough old trashy buildings around to make a place like that. hmm.. when I get some good money together, maybe I'll make my own cinema someday..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here