Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Greece adventure

I'm writing my travel tales down now so I don't forget them when I'm a crusty old man. This story goes way back to the hazy days of 1997..

The plane landed in Athens, and my nose was out of order after San Francisco. This was probably a good thing, as the pollution was major and I was seated near some sweaty looking folk for the duration of the trans-Atlantic crossing. I was met by my super funky Aunty, and within a day we were cruising to Paros, where she owned a little apartment they had set aside for me, in the middle of Parikia. Unbeknown to me, this apartment had been unoccupied for the winter, and the upstairs apartment had leaked. My new home was covered in mould, which immediately set off an annoying bout of Asthma. So, i spent my first night in Paros mopping mould off the floor, wheezing; whilst sexy couples pranced around just outside on their vespas in bikinis. To add to my indignity, the fan that kept me alive was unstable, and as i taped the 'on' button down to keep it going, i became a part of the circuitry and electrocuted myself on the wet floor! Luckily for me, as i fell to the ground, i broke the circuit, so other than a slightly burnt fingernail, i was okay. The only thing to do now, i decided then and there, was to go out on the town.

The night life of Parikia was going off. I strolled the main streets and ended up in an Ibiza like nightclub by the harbour, and before long I was meeting people. It all gets a bit hazy here on the details, but on my third day i met a totally loopy Norwegian girl called Hilde Ellevold, with black dreadlocks. We hit it off, and the first thing she did was suggest we swim out to a snazzy looking yacht moored 100 metres or so out in the bay. The boat was way out, but we made it, and Hilde just climbed up the ladder like a pirate. There was an elderly German couple on board, and I was a bit worried they looked like swingers, but no, they were just friendly. The lady made us a cocktail each, we sat and chatted for a while, and then her husband drove us on his dinghy back to the beach. Hehe, that was the start of our adventures..
I have to go now, will continue next time i'm online.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elise said...

Mr, I LOVE your stories!!! can't wait for the next one!! :D

this part made me giggle:

"and I was a bit worried they looked like swingers, but no, they were just friendly. "

i hope you are ok!

regarding terrorism: i already made some posts asking why there wasn't much turmoil in the islamic communities around the world with london's terrorist attack... and ffs, why isn't there turmoil with Iraq's terrorists attacks???!!! everyday lots of innocent women, and children die because of these lunatics!

If the quran is "mishandled" in guantanamo, there are riots everywhere! If innocents are murdered, they look aside, as if it's none of their business!

Plus, in london, those terrorists got help from their community.

I posted an article from an arab newspaper editor, where he blamed the muslim community for protecting the terrorists.

Enough is enough!

6:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The swingers part made me laugh, too. I could totally picture two corpulent, elderly Germans wearing gold chains, a speedo (on him), and an inappropriately tight bikini (on her).

I can't wait to read more of your zany adventures!

Julie

11:07 pm  
Blogger mrlederhosen said...

Hehe! I hope I can remember everything, and in the right order too! I imagine if I didn't write it down now, in 20 years time the stories would be totally different, I'd probably be wrestling Crocodiles in Tokyo or something overly elaborate!
Julie, did you ever read Baudolino, by Umberto Eco? He gets lost in all his fibs and its hard to tell what is the truth. Well, I want this to be as true as happened. So far, it seems to be on track..

3:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here