Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I forgot to mention Paris

I feel like Alzheimers must be setting in! After writing my Greece and San Fransisco ramblings, I went searching for the diary I kept when I was on the road. It was packed away in a little box in the corner of my room. I'm pretty happy I wrote that diary now, because when I found it, I opened it up to discover that I have missed a whole section of my trip that was BEFORE I even arrived in Greece! I will write it down here exactly as I had written it in my travel diary. This will probably happen more often from now on, I'll write my diary entries in italics, what say..

Arrived in Paris at 2.00pm (French time) on 9th June. I wandered around the airport for a 1/2 hour until I figured out I should stay at the YHA Auberge De Jennesse D'Artagnan at 80 Rue Vitruve Paris. I cought the train (3 trains actually) to Porte De Bagnolet and walked to the hostel from there. I sent my big backpack straight to Athens. I lay down as soon as I could and after a few hours of sleep I woke, thinking it was the next day. I rushed to the reception, and someone told me it was 8pm. I then met Heather from Jacksonville Florida, who was hanging around near the cafeteria at the hostel. We had some beer, and got on incredibly well. Also met Josh from Chicago, and we then went to this bar 3 blocks away. Great music, great atmosphere. They screened a political local documentary film, of which I understood nothing except "L'Communiste". The bar was covered in bondage-like chains and was cranking out the tunes when we left to wander around. We ended up by the local large cemetry. As we approached it Heather realised it was where Jim Morrison and Edith Piaf's grave are! We met a group of street drinking Parisians, who took us to an entry, which was locked (it was 12.50am) so we sat out the front of the cemetry with these people for hours. After some considerable wine was consumed, we came up with the idea to try and scale the fence and climb in. It was a good 5 metres high, and after some clumsy jumps off the bonnet of someone's car to reach the top of the wall, we gave up, somewhat bruised but still laughing.
When we got back to the hostel at 2.30am I met 2 girls, one of whom was the gorgeous Carey. Josh crashed out, followed by Heather, so I went out again with Carey, her friend and this energetic Canadian, who proceded to climb all the sculptures in the parks. After crashing at 4, and swaping details with everyone, I woke at 6.30am, said goodbye to Heather and caught the 3 trains to the airport, followed by a large trek just to get to the plane, which was delayed by about 1 hour.

When I got to Greece I spent my first night at the Victor Hugo YHA, and met some nice people. Drank Ouzo for a while at the hostel (in Omonia) and went out to the alleged anarchist district of Exharhia. Was tops.


Wow, no wonder I couldn't remember that! I do remember that I was a tired hippo when I first arrived in Greece - no wonder. I wish I could remember who the 'gorgeous Carey' was! hehe, what a laugh. I've got this feeling many more of these journal entries include the word 'alcohol' more than I had originally thought.. I have also noticed that I've missed out on lots of stuff that happened in San Fransisco, maybe I'll update it later (especially the mushy night). I have too much other stuff to write about now.

Next Entry: Stranded in Goteborg, and escaping from a weird man who followed me and tried to abduct me in a van in Oslo after fleeing a riot that I somehow ended up in the middle of..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've made the pilgrimage twice to Morrison's grave in Pere LaChaise cemetary. My countess is buried there too, lost amongst the graves whose epitaphs have been worn away by time...

11:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here