Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Still in Greece..

So..
After a few more days of hanging out with the crazy Hilde, she decided to go home to sunny Oslo. Oh, I forgot to mention she had insisted she teach me how to ride a motorbike, and informed me that she was the 1991 motocross champ for Norway. I guess that made her a child star. It was a pretty scary lesson, but I lived, and even got alright at some motorbikin' skills. We hooned all around the island, and saw most of the cool sites of Paros.

My cousins who lived in Paros had secretly gone to all the restaurants or something like that, and in true conspiracy style, had insisted that no one speak to me in English. I wasn't aware of this until Hilde's last night, when we went to a funky restaurant and everything I said in English was ignored by the wait staff. One waiter couldn't keep it in, and at the end of the night he blurted out that word had gone round that I needed to learn more Greek and Christos (my cousin, obviously THE MAN about town) had insisted no English for me. Well I guess my Greek did get better, but it was a bit strange..

Sometime in my second week there I woke up feeling groggy, so I wondered to the boulevarde to look for a cooked breakfast. I was eating my eggs, when I couldn't help but notice the shop keeper being a wanker to his pregnant wife, and make her collect all the dirty plates, whilst he sat on the step perving on the bikini girls walking past. The girl serving me drinks rolled her eyes and moved on. We had a bit of small talk and before long, the wanker was yelling at her too for some reason. When she came to pick up my plate, I said something like "what a dickhead". The next day, as I walked past the restaurant she came and chatted with me. Me being the type of guy I am, and being all alone again after Hilde had left, I suggested we go to the beach after her shift so she could release some of her pent-up anger. Her name was Anette, and we instantly hit it off. I guess I was a bit keen on her (she was a hot Swede, after all!), and we did get it on that first night, but from then on that changed to 'partners in crime', and we became great mates. Two years later she came to Sydney and she stayed with me for a while, and I consider her one of my good friends still. She now lives in Norway, after spending a couple of years in Arctic Spitsbergen, as a marine biologist.

Anyway, i digress. She offered I stay with her and her friends on the hilltop in a pension, and that became my place of stay for the rest of my time in Greece. How could I resist? I got to share a bed with a Swedish babe in a room with a Dutch babe and one other mighty cute Swedish girl! It was great! Anette, Ida, Dominique and myself became a tight little unit, and we hired two scooters and went a travelling around the island, going to many a bar and beach party. Ida taught me the Swedish phrase: "ja, vig knulla dag!" and we had lots of laughs.

One day, I decided that I had to see more islands, so I caught the next ferry to Santorini. I had no idea where I was going, so i just went wherever I ended up. I ended up in a hostel in Perissa, on the far side of the island, by a beach with black volcanic sand. I literally walked into the nearest place, dumped my backpack on the bed, turned around, and whammo - on the bed next to me was the only person I had ever had an acrimonious break up with (in Sydney!). Unbelievable, but there was Abbey. She looked at me with disbelief, and the two of us were gobsmacked. The funny thing was, i think this was a good thing. We got a Vespa together, travelled the island, and chatted about everything, and by the end of my stay there, things were freindly between us, and she ended up coming back to Paros with me. She went her own way after that, but we did bump into each other back in Sydney a couple of years later, and it was friendly.

Back in Paros, Ida had some guy come over, and she disappeared with him, and Dominique left back to Holland. Anette and I proceeded to get totally out of control. I am pretty certain that I was drunk from that first day back until my sudden departure. What do I remember? .. buying a watermelon and a bottle of Vodka and sitting all night on the Venetian walls 'til the sun came up.. seeing morning every night, and missing most of every day.. waking up on a beach with my cousin's restaurant friend prodding me.. going on a boat cruise barbeque in Parikia harbour and falling off the boat with a cup of Sangria in my hand.. hanging out at some Scandi Bar nightclub.. befriending two homeless puppies.. But the greatest circus moment of them all, which would have a profound impact on the rest of my trip, as would have it, was this: I bought a ticket to Goteborg in a drunken haze, and woke up with it lying on my belly, with no memory of buying it.

Anette thought this was very funny, as she must have inspired me. She was from Goteborg, but was staying in Greece for another few weeks! As I grabbed my bags to go and shuffled my scruffy bohemian ass to the port, i made a shocking discovery.. i could not find my passport! After ransacking my backpack, i soon realised that i had left it in the safe deposit box in the hostel in Santorini! A quick phone call later and i was told that all phone systems were down in Santorini for the next day, and i could not contact the hostel. SO, in a quick decision, i caught the next five hour ferry to Santorini, bussed it over to Perissa when the ferry arrived at 7am, and grabbed my passport when reception opened! Aie Chihuahua! I had to wait outside the hostel before it opened, and in that short space of time i met someone else who was to come and stay with me in Sydney in the next year - Nikki Rowe. She was some crazy ass Canadian, and had been locked out of the hostel and was snoozing on the wall when i got off the 7.30am bus (she's married now). Another trip to the port later and another freaky bus trip down the scary caldera cliff face, and i was on the ferry back to Paros - again! I popped in for hugs and a 10 minute farewell, and then it was back on another ferry to Athens. Then I went straight to the airport, and just managed to get to my flight to Sweden on time, with just minutes to spare! Hehe.. what a month!

Next entry: What was I doing in Sweden? My plan had been to travel by land from Greece to Munich, where friends were waiting for me..

3 Comments:

Blogger Elise said...

Indeed it is a pleasure reading your adventures!

Mr, you do have some nice and funny stories to share!

Can't wait for the next one!

Cheers!

6:41 pm  
Blogger mrlederhosen said...

Elise,
I haven't yet been to Portugal :(
Whatever do you think I should do about this predicament?

2:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU CRAZY BUM MOFO!!!!!

6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here