Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Crane-wrecking tornado in Perth

Tonight is the night of the year for nerds accross Australia. At midnight, Star Wars Episode III hits the screens and the marketing machines of toy companies throughout the land will explode with Yoda ice creams, darth vader underpants and who knows what else. I, for one will be at the midnight screening, not cos im a major nerd (well, that is arguable), but because I love the feel of a pumped up and excitable cinema audience, where people get right into what is happening and cheer and applaud. Not sure if me not dressing up will make me look like a party pooper, but all I have is a rubber Mr T mask, and that would like kinda silly wearing to a Star Wars event.
Did I mention there was a TORNADO in Perth on Monday night? It was just in the neighbouring suburb to me, in Applecross. Roofs were ripped off, cranes on construction sites were tipped over and a primary school was demolished. Hardcore stuff, eh? So now I can put that on my list of things i've survived. Though i didn't experience being in or near the tornado itself (I was 2 km away from where it happened), I can say I was in the middle of the hailstorm that destroyed much of inner city Sydney in 1999. There were baseball sized hailstones that night, and every car in my street was destroyed, not to mention most of the tiled roofs in Surry Hills and Newtown. A friend of mine had her porch ripped off the other night, kinda harsh for our little sleepy city of Perth!
Who Links Here