Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Flying Lotus, 3 hours on AZ and the Necks

On Saturday night I saw Flying Lotus perform at Ambar in Perth. I must say it was musically one of the coolest shows that i've been to since Prefuse 73 played in Perth a few years back. It was muddy, meaty and sooooo good to get into on the dance floor. A totally rockin show. I danced like a fool until the moment he stopped.

And then on Sunday I did a hefty 3 hour live set on Ambient Zone starting at 10pm, with Sam joining me on the decks for a good part of it too. Needless to say, on Monday I had a difficult time staying alert at the office! As I readied myself for an early night of sweet slumber, Gav called me to remind me I'd promised to see the Necks (a fine 3 peice band from Sydney) with him. Reluctantly, I dragged my feet to the Charles Hotel to see them. Since about 1998 I've been seeing the Necks once a year or so, I have been lucky to be in the same city as them when they tour. They are always mind blowingly good live on stage. Monday night was no different. I find it hard to believe such an intense rich sound can come from a set of drums, an acoustic double bass and a grand piano. There were moments where the sound was like a wave of warm electronic synthesized sounds. Everyone in the room was transfixed by their show. If I would ever give 10/10 for a review of a live show, this was the night. Even if they do record that track to cd, nothing will sound like Monday night on a recording. I highly advise anyone to see the Necks if they get the chance.

As well as that, I bumped into Kim, a friend that I lost touch with when we both moved overseas in different directions about 8 years ago. We both just happened to be sitting next to each other as the show started. A classic case of a Perthism moment if there ever was one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here