Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Where has Herbie been all my life?

I have just discovered the freaking awesome back catalogue of Herbie Hancock! I am patiently waiting for my 56k connection to give me the succulent 'Fat Albert Rotunda' record he made in 1969. Wow! This stuff is SO good! When I get my first full time job, I might just have to go on a Herbie spending spree and get all his jazz-funk era recordings.
I feel really lucky that I got to meet the guy, and sit front row at a concert he did in Vilnius in Lithuania. What's more, it was in an old Logan's Run inspired music stadium, and he performed for over 2 hours! .. and I got him a shag after the concert too! I was hanging at a night club with some folk I'd met a few nights before, when he approached me and asked where the 'girls' were. In all nightclubs in Vilnius, there is the 'back door' which leads to the strip club section. I was well pissed when he came up to me, and the locals had already told me what was going on in that place by that stage. Hehe, what a claim to fame!
So it's off to the record store for me! I knew Herbie was the man, but I had never checked out his history. I feel like a kid in a chocolate factory. Other new music in my collection includes Jimmy Edgar, The new Savath and Savalas album, Beck's funky new album, and Caribou, who used to be known as Manitoba until some idiot threatened him with court action over his name.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so herbies the man for you grant is he?? aaWW!! its always lovely when you find the right man!! you mentioned jimmy edgar here - that made me think of one of my top 3 electronica albums of 2004. they're called OOO, album's called Upon Cycles & it's on Planet Mu. thank god they transmit to Planet Earth, because this stuff is awesome, all the layered complexity of AE but maybe a bit prettier and gentler to listen to. Ali & I got mashed on some hash yogurts in his new apt the other day and this was what we listened to!! he bought it as a RMP (random music present) for my 30th birthday (OOO 3 zeros) and i don't think a week has gone by in which I have not listened to it!! ah sure you know me - i will probably buy for you in the next while and send it down under matey - you'd really dig this stuff. pure meaty electronica!! eeks - sorry about my long comment!! i just have a lot to say!! hugs emma

10:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, i bloggcommented so much there i forgot to express my point: jimmy edgar is mentioned on their credits so that's why i told you my lil' 000 story...!
monkeehooker

11:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here