Monday, January 30, 2006

Why is it that Christians don't drink?


A street poster I saw yesterday advertising a beer festival. This raises a question I've never heard a decent answer to. I know a few fundamentalist Ned Flanders type of Christians, and none of them ever touch alcohol. I want to know what is so evil about alcohol. Yes I know it can cause many social problems etc, but why does someone who sees themself as a good Christian feel the need to think alcohol is un-Christian and a sin? Getting drunk and having an alcohol problem is one thing, but appreciating some fine wine or beer is a totally different thing. And even if you do get a little tipsy, is it such a bad thing? After all, beer was invented by monks, and Jesus himself made wine! I know my Greek Orthodox relies love to get into their Retsina from time to time, and they don't look like they'll be burning in hell for it.

4 Comments:

Blogger mrlederhosen said...

Hehe, wow I have heard about these people, but never heard such a first hand experience with them, talk about killjoys! I can't believe people with such superstitious peasant mentalities still exist. Of all the opportunities that being a human with our intelligance and insight brings us, we still get this behaviour? I bet these people still burn witches. Maybe you only came in at the end of the bonfires when they said they were burning the Donny Osmond etc records because of their crimes against fashion!

I just saw Brokeback Mountain last night. Golly you guys have some amazing countryside out there in the US! Oh yes and a Perth boy was the main star hehe it's funny. I used to work (only vaguely) with Heath Ledger when he was in a Childrens tv show that I did some camera work on (Ship to Shore). Good to see a Perth boy doing well in Hollywood!

9:05 am  
Blogger Elise said...

mr, don't waste your time trying to understand fundamentalists.

really. :)

cheers sweetie!

:)

11:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brokeback Mountain had real beautiful scenery alright. Poody,can't believe your comment about not needing a campfire because the stars are so bright! I've been city bound for too long!

8:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Side effects imitrex How come marion jones stopped running Liposuction tummy tuck photos mattresses foam cushioning Canadian laptops adipex+line+order Toyota starter solenoids Poems by jessie faucet Interior design victoria bc Audio video rack furniture Difference between latex and foam mattresses 3 x 5 digital print sealy posturepedic mattress nasa and foam and mattress

11:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here