Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Music is tops


Best album ever
Originally uploaded by mrlederhosen.
Last night I finally put on my shiny new dvd compilation of all of my David Bowie albums, and lay down on the bed and listened to it for about two straight hours. Some people meditate, others play sport. When I feel I need to recharge, I get comfortable, I darken the room and put on my favourite music and put the volume at that perfect just-right level.

When I was a 13 year old, the first proper music record I ever bought (other than my pre-pubescent purchases of 'Chipmunk Rock' and 'Sunglasses at night'), was David Bowie's 'Scary Monsters' album. Little did I know then, but that album revolutionised my entire life. It represented the beginning of my teenage life. I played that album every day. Soon, I had to have more! Next I bought the live Ziggy Stardust farewell concert, which drove my Mum crazy on many occaisions, and then I bought what I still believe to be one of the best albums ever made: David Bowie's 'Low' album from 1977. Even today, when I feel a little run down, tired, sad or need rejuvenating, I put on that album and shut my eyes.

Shortly after that, while scouring the second hand section of Dada Records in Perth (which incidentally has not changed at all in 20 years) I found a crusty old 1979 pressing of his next album "Heroes". To this day, I think that song itself has got to be one of the best pop songs ever written, not to mention the rest of that searingly intense album. Every time I hear it, it gets to me. It is musical perfection, as far as I am concerned.

It was only a couple of years later when my musical tastes had moved on to all sorts of crazy stuff did I realise that those two 1977 albums were co-authored and produced by Brian Eno, and had Robert Fripp playing guitar. Eno and Fripp, for the uninitiated, were some of the leading exponents of electronic music in that era. Brian Eno is kinda like the godfather of ambient music - he even allegedly was the first person to use the term "ambient music", and Robert Fripp, well, he was the creative genius behind the awesome band King Crimson, from the prog-rock era of the early 70s, and he created this wacky sound known as 'Frippertronics'.

Music is freakin' awesome, I love how every time I go searching for the good stuff, the more I find. Hehe, I think I've just decided what to play on my next Ambient Zone show, so tune in! Oh yeah, I'll be doing my next set on Sunday 6th of May, on RTR FM 92.1

Incidentally, this photo is the 12" single of the German release of Heroes, titled "Helden". For some reason I think it sounds better in German, probably because he was living in Berlin when he wrote it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here